I used to be that girl who you ALWAYS saw with a cup of tea in her hand. When I was in high school I would be 5 minutes late to class because I was making a cup of tea in my mom’s office and spending exactly 4 seconds squeezing loads of honey into my cup. Tea was my label, everyone knew I was obsessed with it. And I still am! But just not to the extreme of drinking 3-4 cups every single day.
I didn’t realize how unhealthy drinking this much tea LOADED with honey every single day was for me. I probably consumed 6 tbsp of sugar everyday just in my tea, not including the chocolate indulges, and other foods where sugar is hidden. Six tbsp is the limit of sugar intake a women should have daily! But the average american consumes 19 tbsp of sugar each day!!
I also would drink tea instead of water most of the time and so I wasn’t properly hydrating my body, just like most people drink more coffee then water. Although I knew green tea was lower in caffeine then coffee, and I thought I was doing a good thing for my body, with as many cups of green tea a day I was still consuming a lot of caffeine BUT I still felt like I had no energy all the time. I would drink green tea before bed every night and I would still sleep fine.
It was only recently that I was introduced to matcha and decided to give it a try. But the first time I tried it I literally just put a spoonful of matcha in a blender with hot water and honey and blended it up. And let me tell you, do not try that! Although, the honey helped a little bit with sweetness, all I could taste was the bitterness of the matcha.
At first I thought I would never like matcha, and I was upset because I knew all about the health benefits of drinking this super-drink. If you don’t know what these are then let me inform you: One serving of matcha tea has the nutritional equivalent of 10 cups of regularly brewed green tea. It has 137 times more antioxidants than regularly brewed green tea and when you drink matcha you ingest the entire leaf and receive 100% of the nutrients of the leaf. It is:
- Packed with antioxidants including the powerful EGCg
- Boosts metabolism and burns calories
- Detoxifies effectively and naturally
- Calms the mind and relaxes the body
- Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll, and vitamins
- Enhances mood and aids in concentration
- Provides Vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc, and magnesium
- Prevents diseases
- Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
It is such an easy way to add powerful health benefits to your everyday diet!
Then I learned about bulletproof coffee, so I decided I wanted to try that concept with my matcha powder… and BAM! My morning routine was never the same after that.
Now I drink one bulletproof matcha every morning and I feel energized and productive throughout the entire day with no caffeine crash, jitters, or other annoying symptoms! And I now don’t even drink any other green tea for the rest of the day! My body is so satisfied with this one cup in the morning and I usually just drink water for the rest of the day. However, sometimes I will have a herbal tea at night around dinner time if I want it or I’m dealing with digestion issues that day.
My morning matcha latta is super creamy, with the perfect buttery taste. I don’t think it tastes bitter at all and it is packed with health benefits to start your morning off the right way! It even helps me with my sugar cravings!
How I Make It:
- Bring 16-18oz of water to a boil (or I just get my hot water from a kuerig)
- Add 1-2 tsp of matcha powder (make sure your matcha powder has no added ingredients/sugars, just plain Japanese leaves) – if the first time you try it and it tastes bitter, try adding less matcha and work your way up as your tastebuds get used to it
- Add 1/2-1 tsp of maca powder (hormone balancer, relieves menstrual issues, increase of physical and mental energy)
- 1 tbsp of Brain Octane oil – found here – or coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp of Ghee – found here
- 1-2 scoops of Vital Proteins – found here – for skin, hair, nails, and joint health
- Dash of cinnamon
Feel free to add your own adaptogens or add other ingredients such as cocoa powder, peppermint oil/extract, vanilla extract, honey/100% pure maple syrup, vanilla beans or a date! Test out different kinds and try new things until you find out what you like best! Sometimes I will add cocoa powder or mint when I want something different.
*I use water instead of nut milk because I find the ghee and Brain Octain oil makes it creamy enough, but feel free to use nut milk of choice!*
- Put all of these ingredients in your blender and blend for 3 minutes then enjoy!
*NOTE: it is important that you blend all of these ingredients and not just stir or else it will be chalky!